Growing Up with Type 1
This course covers new experiences that come with becoming an adult and leaving home, such as the following:
- how managing your diabetes might be different when you leave home
- how having diabetes might affect your weight
- how to manage your diabetes at festivals or concerts
- how your diabetes may affect getting tattoos or piercings,
- what you may have to keep in mind when considering sex and contraception
- the effect it may have when you drink and smoke
The topic list (to the right) will give you an idea of all the information covered.
Not all topics may be relevant to you, but the information should help give you a better understanding of the kinds of things that might be affected by diabetes, and how you can handle them to keep yourself healthy. We hope to show you that having diabetes doesn’t stop you from having fun and doing whatever you want as a young adult.
By now, you’re probably familiar with the basics of what has caused your diabetes and how best to manage it. If you are newly diagnosed, or you think you have any gaps in your knowledge, or if you just want to refresh your memory, you might want to take the ‘Understanding Type 1 Diabetes’ course first. That course will cover the most important information about type 1 diabetes, including what exactly it is, how insulin works, how having diabetes might affect you on a day-to-day basis and how to keep yourself healthy.
Much of the information provided in this course has been created by other people with type 1 diabetes. If you’d like to share things that work for you or exchange messages with other people with diabetes, then do use the comments section below.
To begin, click on the first section ‘Welcome’ below.